Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sunday Freezer Cooking

Since I have no life, I decided to do some cooking on Sunday. First up was Breakfast Burritos. I used this recipe from Money Saving Mom (surprise, surprise), with just a little change. I halved the recipe and added mushrooms, but essentially stuck to the original, since I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to cooking. I don't have that Ina Garten-esque "throw in some of this and a pinch of that" mentality. I do yell "Bam!" occasionally though. Exhibit #1:


I warmed the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds under a damp paper towel for easier assembly. I dumped the eggs on the tortilla, rolled it, wrapped it in half a big paper towel (I have the HUGE Costco paper towels), and then in foil. I placed them in the leftover tortilla bag and a gallon size plastic bag, sucked the air out, which was the most enjoyable part by far, and threw them in the freezer. Evidence exhibit 2:

So there. 10 burritos done. I could price it all out to the penny like other websites, but I won't. I know it was cheap. I used less than a whole pepper (<$.50), onion, 10 tortillas ($.99), 9 eggs ($1-something), some cheese ($1.50?), a little milk, and salt/pepper. So these are maybe $.50 a piece? Pretty damn cheap compared to my bacon egg and cheese bagels from Dunkin Donuts. And I won't be tempted to buy a pumpkin donut to go along with it. And a Coolatta.

Next up? Taco meat. I got a pound of hamburger that was set to expire that day for $1 off. I brought it home and dumped it in the pan with a can of pink beans, and more pepper and onion. I also added some water and DIY taco seasoning. I didn't have all of the ingredients, but eh, it tastes fine. Here's another picture.


Yep, that's the same pan. I don't own a lot of cookware. Once this was cooked sufficiently, I spooned it into a gallon size zip-top bag, labeled it, and placed it flat on the freezer shelf to save space. Lastly was meatballs made with another pound of discounted beef. I didn't save the exact recipe, but it involved hamburger, an egg, breadcrumbs, and salt/pepper. I am a lazy bum and don't like to brown them and bake them, so I (well, the husband), mixed the meat and put them in a mini muffin tin. Notice the me-sized and the he-sized balls.


Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or so, and voila. Drop those puppies on some pasta, and you have a meal. We were able to get 24 mini meatballs out of a pound of beef. Not bad. They lasted through dinner and a few lunches.

So there you go. Cheap, easy, and yummy. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment